Thursday, October 1, 2026

A Letter From Fr. Jamie

  October 1, 2026

 Dear St. Stephen’s--

 After much prayer, discernment, and conversation with our Wardens, Vestry, parish clergy, Bishop Shay and the leadership of the Diocese and with the encouragement of a few parishioners, I will be taking a three-month sabbatical beginning April 1 and ending July 1, 2027.

 After almost 20 years of ministry together at St. Stephen’s, I believe this is the right time for me to undertake such a period of renewal.

 A clergy sabbatical is intended as a regular and healthy part of long-term ordained ministry. Under the diocesan sabbatical policy, full-time priests are eligible, following at least six years of service in the Diocese, for a period of sabbatical leave for what the policy describes as “spiritual and intellectual refreshment.” Our diocesan sabbatical program is known as the Masuda Program, named for the Rt. Rev. George Masuda, who was Bishop of North Dakota from 1965 to 1980.

 The Episcopal Church as a whole understands sabbatical as a time when clergy are relieved of their ordinary responsibilities for study, travel, spiritual renewal, and rest. A sabbatical is therefore something very different from a vacation. It is an intentional Sabbath—a period of stepping away from the regular demands and rhythms of parish ministry in order to pray, read, write, study, reflect, travel, create, rest, and simply to re-connect with and pay attention to where God may be leading.

 During the three months of sabbatical, I hope to give particular attention to my spiritual and creative life: I plan to spent time in prayer and on retreat, reading and writing (I am currently in the process of writing a novel), travel, and simply allowing myself the kind of spaciousness that is often difficult to find amid the day-to-day responsibilities of parish ministry. I hope to return to St. Stephen’s renewed, refreshed, and ready for the next chapter of our ministry together.

 It’s important to remember that a sabbatical is not a leave-taking from St. Stephen’s, nor is some kind of prelude to leaving. It is actually the opposite. Sabbaticals exist in the Church precisely because healthy ministry requires periods of renewal if it is to remain vital over the long term. I look forward to returning in July and continuing the ministry we share together.

 While I am away, the life and ministry of St. Stephen’s will include, as always,  worship, pastoral care and regular ministries. Our Wardens, Vestry, deacons, staff and lay leaders, as well as the sabbatical clergyperson will ensure that St. Stephen’s remains the vibrant, radically inclusive, prayerful community that it is.

In the months ahead, we will communicate clearly about clergy coverage, pastoral emergencies, worship, administration, and other practical matters during my absence. And please, ask me any questions you may have.

 I also hope that my sabbatical can become a kind of Sabbath for all of us, not just myself. After almost 20 years together, I am positive that you too can appreciate a sabbatical from me as well.

 I think a sabbatical is a very good reminder that St. Stephen’s belongs to God, and its ministry belongs to all of us, not just the Rector. For seventy years, this remarkable congregation has been sustained by generations of faithful people who have prayed here, worshiped here, struggled here, served here, and dared to imagine what an inclusive Christian community might look like in Fargo-Moorhead. I am only one minor part of that continuing story.

 Perhaps these three months can give all of us an opportunity to notice again the many gifts for ministry that already exists within our community.

 Between now and April, I will share more about my plans as well as the arrangements that will be made for St. Stephen’s during my absence. My hope is that we will enter this sabbatical thoughtfully and prayerfully, seeing it not as an interruption in our common life but as part of its natural rhythm.

 As you all know, I am deeply grateful to God for the privilege of being your priest and rector. I am grateful for the ministry we do here together, for the ways you challenge and encourage me, and for the extraordinary community we have built here together.

 I ask your prayers for me as I prepare for this time away. Please know that throughout my sabbatical I will carry St. Stephen’s with me wherever I go. And, God willing, on July 1, when I come back I hope to be renewed and ready for what comes next for us as a congregation.

 Also, I plan to hold an informal congregational meeting following Sunday Eucharist either later this year or early next year to address questions and concerns, and to present a final plan to all of you for sabbatical. Some initial thoughts and ideas are attached to this letter.

 Please pray for me during this time of preparation and know that I will be praying for all of you as well.  

 With my continued deep affection for you all,

Jamie+

 

HOW SABBATICAL WILL LOOK AT sT. sTEPHEN’S

 

WARDENS AND VESTRY

The Senior Warden, the Junior Warden  and the Vestry will handle administrative business and major organizational decisions for the parish, and will assist and advise the sabbatical clergyperson(s) on the running of the parish.

 

SABBATICAL CLERGYPERSON

With funds from Masuda Fund, we hope to hire a part-time clergy person to cover for Fr. Jamie while he is gone. Fr. Jamie is currently in discussion with an ELCA pastor who is interested in serving in this capacity. After he discusses it with the Vestry and Bishop Shay, Fr. Jamie will be making an announcement soon about the clergyperson who will be covering for him while he is gone.

 

DEACON JOHN

Deacon John along with the Sabbatical Clergyperson(s) will handle emergency pastoral needs, weddings, or funerals. Please be aware that Deacon John (like all  deacons in the Episcopal Church) is not paid to serve, so it is vital that we not overextend our expectations of his duties during this time  

 

PASTORAL CARE TEAMS

A Pastoral Care Team led by our Wardens will consist of trained lay leaders who will, with Deacon John and the Sabbatical Clergyperson, manage routine visits, hospital calls, and bereavement support. If anyone is interested in helping with this vital ministry, please talk with Fr. Jamie.

 

WORSHIP

Sunday morning Eucharist will continue as it always has been to be the center of our congregation and ministry and will continue without a break. It is my hope that a sabbatical clergy person will cover the first, second and fourth Sundays each month, with Deacon John utilizing Morning Prayer with Holy Communion from the Reserved Sacrament on the second Sunday of each month.

 

WEDNESDAY EVENING LITURGY

Wednesday evening gatherings will also continue, though in a slightly different way. A few devoted parishioners who attend the Wednesday evening service offered to be trained as Lay Reader so they can lead Evening Prayer on Wednesdays and continue to share the post-Wednesday liturgy supper tradition at a local restaurant.

 

TOTAL DISCONNECTION

A sabbatical means total disconnection. During this time, parishioners or staff are to refrain from contacting the Rector in any way during the sabbatical. Fr. Jamie, for his part, will not be checking personal emails, social media posts or text messages. He also will not be engaging in any social media while he is gone. This means he will not be accessing or posting anything on Facebook, Instagram or any other kind of social media. He also will not be performing regular duties to allow true Sabbath rest.

No comments:

A Letter From Fr. Jamie

    October 1, 2026   Dear St. Stephen’s--   After much prayer, discernment, and conversation with our Wardens, Vestry, parish clergy, B...