Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Nuptial Mass for Amy Morrow and Josh Stalboerger


 July 8, 2023

+ There are two things we Episcopalians do well.

(Well, we do lots of things well, but we do two things exceptionally well)

We do funerals  well, and we do weddings well.

Well, there’s no funerals today.

Today, we are pulling out all the stops for Amy and Josh.

Way back in January when we first started talking about this service, Amy was very enthusiastic about the fact we were pulling out the stops.

And Josh’s reaction to all of this?

It was: “sure. Whatever.”

And so, today we have this glorious day.

 And it is a glorious day!

 I am so happy and grateful that we are celebrating  Amy and Josh and the love they have for each today.

 I am also very grateful for their presence in my life and in the life of St. Stephen’s—that radical, crazy, liberal, “Island of Misfit Toys” parish in North Fargo.

 As you might know, I have known Amy for many, many years.

 At least 15 years.

 She and her family have been very active members at St. Stephen’s—a fact of which we are all so grateful.

 And when Amy first brought Josh to church, everyone at St. Stephen’s immediately loved Josh.

 Amy and Josh are such integral parts of our parish, for which we are all so grateful.

 Today, we celebrate them and their love with this beautiful service, with the stops pulled out.

 Now both Amy and Josh know that one of my standard themes in wedding sermons is my view of grace.

 I always say that weddings and marriages are wonderful examples of grace in our midst.

 Now, my definition of grace is this: it is a gift from God we receive that we did not ask for.

 It is a gift we cannot give ourselves.

 We cannot control grace.

 We cannot manipulate it or make it do what we want it to do.

 Grace happens.

 God grants grace in its own time.

 In its own place.

 And we must simply be open to it, and be thankful for it, and just… let it happen in our lives.

 And be very, very thankful to God when it does.

Amy. Josh. What we celebrate today is truly a grace.

  I am so thankful for this grace you have been given by God.

 And here you are today!

 And it’s all good.

 And it’s all beautiful.

 You both deserve today.

 You both deserve this love, this surrounding by people who love you, this grace in your life.

 You deserve the very best in your lives.

 In a few moments, after the hymn, Josh and Amy will stand before me and I am going to take my stole—this scarf-like vestment, and wrap it around their hands.

 That wrapping of the stole is a wonderful action in the Anglican tradition.

 And it is literally where the term “tying the knot” comes from.

 But it’s more than that.

 A knot is beautiful symbol.

 It is a reminder that things can truly be bound up so tightly that they cannot be unbound.

 That two things can become one solid, strong thing.

 All of that is what we celebrate today.

 Amy and Josh, that is what we give joy for today.

 Now, I’m not promising that the future is going to be hunky dory and sweet all the time.

 If any priest every promises you that, sue them!

 And you both know that it isn’t always going to be like that.

 I’m not promising that all the dark clouds have passed away for good.

 But right now, right here, none of that matters.

 I am so happy, Josh and Amy, for this day.

 I am so thankful to God that you have found each other again.

 I am so happy for you and for all that you have and will have.

 It really is wonderful!

 So, with that…after the hymn, I think it’s time to get you both married.

 

No comments:

6 Easter

Rogation Sunday May 5, 2024   1 John 5.1-6; John 15.6-17   + As most of you who have hearing my sermons for a long time now know I...