Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Homily for the 20th Anniversary of my Ordination to the Diaconate

 


July 26, 2023

 + So, why, you may be wondering, would I celebrate my diaconal ordination anniversary?

Well, I’ll be honest.

I never stopped being a deacon.

When I was ordained to the Priesthood on June 11, 2004, I didn’t magically stop being a Deacon.

I am still very much a deacon.

I see my diaconal ministry as a basis for my priestly ministry.

Now, there are some in the Episcopal Church who have been advocating what is called “direct ordination.”

Direct ordination means that one who is called to the Priesthood should be ordained directly to the Priesthood, without Diaconal ordination.

The thinking here is that by doing so, it upholds the dignity of Diaconal ministry for those whoa re called to being vocational Deacons.

(I can’t help but wonder if there will then be “direct ordination” to the Episcopate, just because someone is “called” to be a Bishop.)

As you can imagine, I am opposed to such a view as direct ordination.

On one hand, it has been a foundation aspect of ordained ministry throughout most of our history.

And to change it will essentially break our Catholic tradition.  

But, I see my Diaconal ministry as vital to who I am as a priest.

Yes, I might not have been called to be a Deacon.

But I am grateful that diaconal ministry is the foundation on which my priestly ministry is based.

And my diaconal ministry is as much a part of my life as being a priest.

20 years is a long time.

I have seen clergy come and I have seen clergy go.

Ordained ministry is a difficult vocation.

When it’s bad, it’s really bad.

It doesn’t help when one loves the people one serves.

Their pain becomes my pain.

But when it’s good, it’s amazing!

Those are the moments I live for.

I am so very grateful to God for these 20 years.

I am thankful for every one who has walked with me so far.

I am thankful for those who have defended me when I needed defending.

And I am especially grateful for those who have cared for and loved me during this time.

I am going to close this evening, with the prayer I adapted and had printed my ordination bulletin 20 years this evening.

 

On my Ordination to the Diaconate

 

(after John Henry Newman)

 

 

Holy and Loving God, help me to spread the fragrance of  your presence

wherever I go. Let my soul overflow with your all-consuming spirit and life.

Let your brilliance radiate through my entire being.

 

Let your presence flow through me so that everyone I know

may, in turn, know the comforting rain-like gentleness of your presence.

When they look at me, let them not see me, but you.

Let them know you as I know you.

 

Shine through me and let me be a beacon for others—

for it will be your light shining in me, O God, not mine.

Let my pale reflection of your light be like a song of praise to your ears.

 

Let me preach you without preaching—

not with words, but by example,

by the fire that rages within me,

by all the good I do,

and by the reflected image of your love I carry

branded deep within my expectant heart. Amen.

 

                                                         

 

 

No comments:

6 Easter

Rogation Sunday May 5, 2024   1 John 5.1-6; John 15.6-17   + As most of you who have hearing my sermons for a long time now know I...