Saturday, December 22, 2018

My Christmas letter


December 21, 2018

My Friends at St. Stephen’s,

First of all, I begin my Christmas letter with an apology. Every year this letter goes out in a Christmas card. Obviously, there is no Christmas card from me this year. Three times over the last several weeks I entered a store with the intent of purchasing cards; three times I left empty-handed.

To say that my heart is just not “in” the Christmas spirit this year is a bit of an understatement.  This is how grief sometimes makes itself known. These months since my mother died last January have been, oftentimes, very difficult ones.

But with my apology comes my sincere thanks to each of you. Thank you for walking alongside me in my grief and being an understanding and caring community of fellow followers of Jesus. Thank you for your kindness and care for me this year. I saw St. Stephen’s in fine form: people stepping up to the plate, doing the work that needed to be done, coming forward and being a comforting and compassionate presence. I am so grateful for all of you.

Serving as St. Stephen’s continues to be one of the most fulfilling experiences of my priestly life. Our life together of worship, ministry, music and outreach has been a source of great personal joy for me and has helped me to see how gracious God is in showering blessings upon faithful, committed people who truly do seek after God.

As we move forward together into this future full of hope and potential growth, I ask for your continued prayers for St. Stephen’s and your continued presence on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights and whenever else we gather together to worship and to do ministry.

Please know that I pray, as always, for each of you individually by name over the course of each week in my daily observance of the Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer). Also know that I also remember all of you at the altar during celebration of the Mass. Above all, know that I give God thanks every day for the opportunity to serve such a wonderful, caring and loving congregation of people who are committed to growth and radical hospitality.

In return, I ask for your prayers for me in my ministry. I depend on your prayers and blessings in my life and certainly can feel the full effect of those good works in lifting me up and sustaining me during those inevitable low times.

As much as my heart might not be in the Christmas spirit this year, I still, with you, rejoice in the birth of Christ—God’s chosen One, the Messiah—with true joy. Even in the midst of grief and sadness, joy can be still be known and experienced and celebrate. God is more powerful than grief or dark times. God’s Light continues to come to us wherever we are and in what circumstances we might find ourselves.

Let us celebrate this Light with hope for a coming year of amazing possibilities and new horizons. Let us celebrate the birth of Jesus with a defiant joy that is more powerful than anything life’s hardships can throw at us.    

My sincerest blessings to you and to all those you love during this season of joy, hope and love.

PEACE always,
Fr. Jamie Parsley+


Christmastide 2018
at St. Stephen’s
 Monday December 24  - Christmas Eve
7:00 pm – Holy Eucharist

Tuesday December 25    Nativity of Our Lord
10:00 am Holy Eucharist

Wednesday December 26St. Stephen
6:00 pm – Holy Eucharist
Fr. Jamie, celebrant/preacher





1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful meaningful letter you have written! How did you know that this was just what I needed to hear at this time this year in particular. I grieve the hurts and so many losses so many have endured.yours and mine included may you find some joy and peace and comfort and of course hope in these dark days!
Sending you some love,

Susan Schwartz

Palm Sunday

  March 24, 2024   Mark 15.1-39   +   This coming week is, of course, Holy Week.   As this Holy Week begins, I find myself a bit...