Saturday, October 1, 2016

The memorial service of Mercille Moen

The Memorial Service for
Mercille Moen
(June 24, 1915– Sept. 26, 2016)
Hanson Runsvold Funeral Home,  Fargo, ND
 October 1, 2016


I am very honored to speak this afternoon as we commemorate the long and wonderful life of my great aunt Mercille Moen and as we commend this wonderful woman to her loving God. I thank Pastor Bill for asking me to share a few words.

I am going to be honest this afternoon. It is hard to even begin to imagine life without Mercille. She was always there. Even when she celebrated first 100th birthday and then her 101st birthday, even when we knew that her passing was inevitable, I have to say, it has been difficult. It’s been difficult to adjust to a world without Mercille.   After all she was a part of this world for longer than any of us can even imagine.  And it will take some time for us to get used to life without her.

She was a remarkable woman—and I don’t say that lightly. She was a woman of great strength and of contagious warmth.  There was no doubt about that.  Whenever I would come and visit her (which I always enjoyed doing)  she would look at me with that brilliant spark in her eyes and would welcome me as though she had known me all her life.  I liked that.

It is in a moment like this that I am very, very thankful that God brought Mercille into our family. I am thankful she was my aunt. I am thankful for the witness of her long life. And I am thankful, simply, for her.  We will all miss her and will feel her loss for a long time to come. But, on this day in which we bid her this temporary goodbye, let us also be thankful.

Let us be thankful for this woman whom God has been gracious to let us know and to love.  Let us be thankful for her example to us. And let us be grateful for all she has given us in our own lives.

Into paradise may the angels lead you, Aunt Mercille. At your coming may the martyrs receive you. And may they bring you into that holy city Jerusalem.  Amen.



No comments:

4 Easter

  Good Sheph erd Sunday April 20, 2024   Psalm 23; John 10.1-10   + Since the last time I stood here and preached, I have traveled...