August 2, 2026
Matthew 14:13–21
So, as I’ve
shared with many of you, I read a book a few months ago that blew me away.
It was not a book
I would’ve expected to do so.
It’s a well-known
book, but one that just never piqued my interest.
And then it
started gaining a bunch of buzz on social media.
So, I reluctantly
picked it up and started reading it.
And was blown
away!
It was none other
than. . . .Lonesome Dove.
If you haven’t
read it---read it!
It’s not just
another Western.
Well, my reading
the book opened up for me the world of Larry McMurtry and I have come to really
love him as an author.
I ended reading
the two recent biographies of him, which are fascinating.
 |
| Larry McMurtry |
Just to give you
an idea of who Larry McMurtry was, he was much more than the author of Lonesome
Dove.
His first novel, Horseman,
Pass By was published in 1961 and was, in 1963, made into a movie and
renamed. . . Hud, with Paul Newman and Patricia Neal.
If you’ve never
seen Hud, see it!
It’s an amazing
film!
He also wrote The
Last Picture Show, about growing up in Archer City, Texas in the early
1950s, which was made into a classic film by Peter Bagdonovich and won multiple
Oscars.
He also wrote Terms
of Endearment, which also was made into an Oscar-winning film
And, along with
Diana Ossana, he wrote the screenplay for the film Brokeback Mountain,
which also won multiple Oscars.
(He didn’t write
the short story though—that was Annie Proux)
One of the areas
in his life I was especially amazed by was something that happened to him in
1991.
About a week
before Labor Day that year, as we he was
driving from his home in Archer City, Texas to his ranch house to watch the sun
set, he accidently hit a cow with his car.
The cow walked
away.
And McMutry drove
on to the ranch and watched the sun set.
But the next
morning he woke up not feeling well.
He was coughing.
He felt rotten.
So he went to the
doctor in Wichita Falls, who informed him in no uncertain terms that he was
having a heart attack.
The medical
authorities informed him that he had to have quadruple bi-pass surgery
immediately.
McMutry, who was
finishing his novel, Texasville, a sequel to his amazing novel, The Last
Picture Show, told them he was going to finish his novel first.
So, he continued
working on his novel from September until December 1.
On December 2, he
had the bypass surgery.
And he came
through with flying colors.
However, int eh
months that followed, he simply lost himself.
He stopped
reading.
He stopped
writing.
He just. .
.stopped.
He would say
later, my personality died on the operating table.
His soul died on
that operating table.
He said, the
person I was before that operation was not the same person I was afterward.
And I didn’t know
who I was afterward.
Eventually, he
made his way back, but until the his dying day, he truly felt his very
personality had died in that surgery.
I think many of
us have experienced similar moment sin our own lives.
As most of you
know, I certainly went though something very similar when my mother died.
Some part of
myself that I was before died the day she died.
In fact, a few
months after she died, I was driving back from the Cities on Highway 10.
I stopped, as I
often do when I’m driving that road at a particular truck stop in Motley,
Minnesota.
I’ve always loved
stopping there to pick up a Diet Coke, look at he live bait in the back of the
store and just stretch my legs.
That day when I
walked in there after my other died, I suddenly had this realization that the
last time I walked through those doors, my mother was alive,
But somehow, deep
down inside me, the voice in my head said clearly, “the last time I walked in
these doors I was alive.”
And that
statement felt just as true.
That’s how grief
works sometimes.
When people we
love dearly die, a huge part of us dies with them.
There’s just no
getting around that fact.
And it’s
terrible.
The reason I
bring all of this up is that I think a similar situation happens in our Gospel
reading for today.
In it, he hear
that John the Baptist has just died.
Before we hear
anything about bread or fish or crowds, we hear that Jesus has received devasting
news.
And Jesus does
what any of us would do in that situation.
He withdraws to a
deserted place, seeking, perhaps, the same thing we seek when grief comes into
our own lives.
Silence.
Time to mourn.
But, of course,
he doesn’t get that.
The crowds of
course find him.
What always
strikes me about this passage is that Jesus does not ignore his own sorrow, but
neither does he allow it to close up his heart.
He may have felt
like he lost a bit of himself when John died, but he never loses his love for
others.
Matthew simply
tells us that he “had compassion for them.”
Even while
carrying grief himself, Jesus remains open to the suffering of others.
Which is
important to us as well.
It’s a good
reminder that compassion doesn’t mean pretending everything is fine.
Compassion is
allowing our own wounded hearts to remain tender enough to notice someone
else’s need.
Most of us know
what it’s like to carry burdens that no one else can see.
We come to church
with losses, with worries, with disappointments, and, more often than not, with
our unanswered prayers—or rather praters that were not answered in the way we
wanted them answered.
We come to church
often feeling as though our very personality has died.
And no one else
knows or even notices how deeply profound that death is to us.
But it’s
important to remember that just because we’re struggling, it doesn’t mean we
have nothing to offer anyone else.
Jesus shows us
another way.
Sometimes the
deepest ministry is offered by people who know what real sorrow feels like.
A sorrow that
essentially is a death of our very self.
And let’s face
it, those of us who have been comforted by God in our own lives often become
the ones through whom God’s comfort is given.
God sometimes
uses our wounds—our often unhealed wounds—to heal other people’s wounds.
The feeding of
the multitude is certainly a miracle.
But perhaps the
greater miracle begins before the bread is ever broken.
It begins when
Jesus refuses to let grief become isolation.
He continues even
in his sorrow to love.
He continues to
heal others.
He continues to
welcome others.
That is the
pattern of life for all of us who follow Jesus.
We don’t need to wait
until life is perfect before we become people of mercy.
If we do, we’re
missing the point.
We can’t wait
until every question has been answered before we love our neighbor.
We need to just follow
Jesus, trusting that God’s grace is present even here, in the wilderness, here in
the valley of the shadow of death.
The crowds came
to that deserted place expecting very little.
They left having
discovered that Jesus’ very presence was
enough.
God worked even
through that sorrowful presence of Jesus.
That remains true
for us as well.
Whatever we have
brought with us this morning—our joys or our sorrows, our faith or our doubt, our
hope or our weariness—we bring it into the presence of God in Jesus.
And it is there
we discover again and again that God never abandons us.
We are not dead.
Our personalities are still alive.
Jesus is still
present in us, his people.
And we, because of
that presence in our midst, we become the
presence of Jesus to those who need Jesus, right now, right here, in this place.
That’s how the
Reign of God becomes truly present.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment