Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Letter

 

Advent-Christmas, 2020

 

My Friends at St. Stephen’s,

I think we all agree that this Christmas is not like any Christmas we have ever experienced. Most of us are physically separated from each other and from many of our loved ones. Of course, we gather virtually through Livestream and Zoom, but as we all know, these are sad replacements for real communion with one another.

As we near the birth of Jesus and prepare to celebrate all that that birth means to us,  we do so looking with hope to our future. The vaccine is now out, and will hopefully finally bring an end to this long and arduous journey we have been on for these last nine months.

I may be optimistic (I try to be anyway), but my hope is that we will be returning to “normal” worship possibly by the spring. By the latest, I hope we will be able to gather to worship, to have coffee hour, to actually greet each other in person by Pentecost. Don’t hold me to this. But it is a goal in which I am hoping

For now, however, we must simply do what is expected of us to make sure we keep one another safe. Sadly, St. Stephen’s remains closed to public worship for now. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Masses will be offered, as they have been, through Livestream. All our Masses will be uploaded to our website and to our YouTube pages. Please do join us for these masses. We now averaging about 77 people joining us for our virtual Masses. I am grateful for all those  who are joining us.

          For me, serving as St. Stephen’s continues to be one of the most fulfilling experiences of my priestly life even during these difficult times. I will admit: I despite preaching to an empty church. I miss your presence in the church. I miss our time of fellowship at coffee hour. I miss all of you, plain and simple.

As we move forward together into this future full of hope and potential reunion, I ask for your continued prayers for St. Stephen’s and your continued presence at our virtual liturgies.

Please know that I pray, as always, for each of you individually by name over the course of each week in my daily recitation of the Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer). Also know that I also remember all of you at the altar during celebration of the Mass. Above all, know that I give God thanks every day for the opportunity to serve such a wonderful, caring and loving congregation of people who are truly committed to loving God and others, to growth and to radical hospitality.

My sincerest Christmas blessings to all of you and to all those you love during this season of joy, love and HOPE.

 

      PEACE always,

 

                                                          

 

Advent- Christmas, 2020  

at St. Stephen’s

 

Thursday December 24  - Christmas Eve

7:00 pm – Holy Eucharist

 

friday December 25    Nativity of Our Lord

10:00 am Holy Eucharist

 

Sunday December 27Transferred Feast of St. Stephen

11:00 am – Holy Eucharist

 

Sunday December 271 Christmas

11:00 am – Holy Eucharist

 

Wednesday December 30

6:00 pm - Mass of the New Year

 

All of our Masses are Livestreamed at our Facebook Group:

 

Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/52039214842

They are posted later to our Website: Ststephensfargo.org

And to our YouTube Channel; Youtube.com (“St. Stephen’s Fargo”)

No comments:

2 Easter

April 6, 2024 John 20.19-31 + There’s a book I reference quite regularly, if you’ve heard me preach for any period of time.   It’s Out...