Thursday, June 13, 2019

15 Years a Priest!



June 12, 2019


Matthew 10.7-16


 + In our Gospel reading for tonight, we hear Jesus say, “I am sending you as sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.”

I can say that scripture has definitely been a prophecy-fulfilled in my ministry. When I heard those words fifteen years ago last night, I may have had an idea of what Jesus meant. Fifteen year later, I can truly say I KNOW what Jesus meant.


I’ve been there, in the midst of those wolves. And if I have had any gift granted to me by God to survive, it has definitely been to be wise as a serpent and innocent as a dove.  Well, I don’t know how “innocent” I’ve been.  But I’ve tried really hard to be innocent as a dove.


Fifteen years ago, on that that hot night (and it WAS hot that night) I was impatient. I was biting at the bit. I was straining forward. That ordination couldn’t happen fast enough.


And when it did, it was something. It was unique. And it was wonderful. I truly experienced the Holy Spirit that night.


I have told you before how, when the Bishop laid hands on my head that night, I FELT the electricity of the Spirit in that moment. And I definitely felt something change in me.


At moments, it seems like it was just yesterday.  And at other moments, it seems like it was 100 years ago.


15 years of priestly ministry. You have heard me say it before. I will say it again a hundred times I’m sure.


I love being a priest.


I  can say in all honesty that I was meant to be a priest. As sure as a shark is meant to hunt, or a fish to swim, I was meant to be a priest. It was almost like it was programmed into me.


Now saying that, I’m not saying I have been a perfect priest. I was never called to be a perfect priest.  Nor even at times, have I been a particular good priest.


I have failed.


I have tripped up.


I have stumbled.


I have made many, many mistakes.


But even then, even with all the mistakes I’ve made, it’s all right. It’s all good. Still, it hasn’t been easy.  


I remember twenty years ago, when I told the first Episcopal priest I too wanted to be an Episcopal priest, he leaned back in his chair, put his fingers to his chin and shook his head.


“It’s never going to happen,” he said.


And I thought then, that was it.


All right. 


The door was closed and that was that.


And if that priest had had his way, it would’ve ended there.


Actually, let’s face it: the odds were against me. Because of who I am and what I am, I really can’t imagine now how I made it through and was ordained.


And there were people who said I shouldn’t have been ordained.


There were people who said I had no right to stand at the altar.


Sadly for them, they did not get their way.


Nor really did I.


God did.


Some priests have been able to fly under the radar. Not me. Which is not always a good thing.


Being a priest like me means being a target. A big target. For better or for worse.


But it helped that I did not go into this as some doe-eyed, naïve PollyAnna.  I was prepared for all this vocation would give me—both good and bad. I knew and was prepared for all of those things.


Fifteen years ago I thought I knew what it meant to be “broken.” I know now what it means to be broken.  And I have served many broken people.


But I was also prepared for the good things, as much as anyone can be prepared for such things in their lives.


In these fifteen years I’ve known the beauty of grace and friendship. I knew what it was, in those moments, to see God breaking through in wonderful and incredible ways.


I also realized that all that spiritual training I had—clinging to the Holy Eucharist and the discipline of the Daily Offices of Morning and Evening Prayer—could truly sustain one spiritually when the Devil takes you by throat and shakes you.  The Holy Eucharist and the Daily Office have been my buoys.  They have been the buoys through the hard times. They have been the buoys when my father died and then when my mother died.  They have helped me when I have felt so utterly alone in this world. They helped me keep my head above water.


So, yes, I am the scarred veteran priest.


But I stand before you as priest who can still hold my head up and say, without one qualm, without one doubt, without hesitation: I am so happy to be a priest.


I am!


I really am!


I’m going to close tonight with the prayer I had printed on my worship booklet back then. It was a prayer I adapted from a prayer by one of my all-time heroes, Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury. I can say that this has been a prayer that has been answered in ways I never knew prayers could be answered. This is a prayer that is a very clear warning to everyone: be careful sometimes what you pray for. 


It might actually be answered.


I close with this prayer I prayed fifteen years ago last night. And tonight, I can say that prayer has been answered. Again and again in my life. And for that, I am truly grateful.


Let us pray.

                                                                                   

Holy God, the years have fallen away—one by one—

only to reveal this one shining moment.

It lies here before me as a precious gift I neither asked for nor deserved.

And yet, here it is. Here it is in its beauty, more precious than any other gift.     


Only one thing I ask: take my heart and break it.

Break it not as I would like it to be broken, but as you would.

And because it is you who are breaking it, how can I be  afraid,

for your hands are the hands I have felt all my life at my back and on my face, supporting me, comforting me and guiding me

to the places you wanted me to be.

Your hands  are safety and in them, I am safe.


Take my heart and where you have broken it, fill it with joy—

not the joy I want for myself, but the joy you want for me.

Fill my heart with a burning joy and let its fire burn away

everything dead or dying within me.

Let my heart burn with a joy I cannot imagine

and can only vaguely comprehend.


It’s time, Lord, and I am ready.

See! I am ready to be your priest.






No comments:

2 Easter

April 6, 2024 John 20.19-31 + There’s a book I reference quite regularly, if you’ve heard me preach for any period of time.   It’s Out...