Saturday, October 31, 2015

Going teetotaler

So, 6 months ago tomorrow (Nov. 1), I stopped drinking alcohol. As noble as it might sound, it wasn't. For almost four years I had been having my fair share of stomach issues--ulcers, severely upset stomach, a kind of "broken glass" feeling in the pit of my stomach. The "broken glass" feeling, over time, got worse and worse. Finally 6 months ago, I ended up sick for three days. It was only then that I fully realized that I was getting sick due to alcohol. My doctor and others said that it is entirely possible that some people can develop (or simply ignore the fact that they have) an allergy of some sort to alcohol. My doctor then said to me: "Listen, you don't need it. If it's causing you to feel this way, just give it up." It made absolute sense. What surprised me most was how easy it was to actually give up. Certainly, it has not caused me to sacrifice any aspect  my social life: I still love going out to my favorite places. I still love my vintage bar wear. I still love hosting parties and being with my friends at bars.  But by far the most important part of it all is that, with my vegan lifestyle, I have never, ever felt better. I honestly don't think I even felt this good even in my 20s.   



No comments:

2 Easter

April 6, 2024 John 20.19-31 + There’s a book I reference quite regularly, if you’ve heard me preach for any period of time.   It’s Out...