Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday


+ I have this week been reading a wonderful little devotional book called Colloquies and Prayers for Holy Communion, which were culled from the writings of Richard Meux Benson, one of the founders of the Society of St. John the Evangelist. Benson died in 1916 and this book was published in 1934. The language is a bit dated for our modern ears. But the message is strong and wonderful, even now.

For this Maundy Thursday, I would like to share with you an adaptation I wrote from one of these meditations which is entitled “The Passover which Jesus desired”.

The Passover which Jesus Desired

after Richard Meux Benson, SSJE

He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16for I tell you, I will not eat it* until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” Luke 22.15-16


O Jesu, how great that you came to us! You found your glory in raising us from the earth to heaven. This was your desire. In this way you made your glory shine above the heavens. You did not devise to be lifted up above the earth; rather you divided all, that you might gather up the whole world into the unity of the house of God.

Jesus:

My child, it is my joy to be the redeemer of all. Feed on me, and you shall find the renewal my glorified body gives. You shall be strengthened with my Spirit. You shall be freed from the bondage of this world of death. I have come to give my flesh for the life of the world.


O Jesu, as you lead me out of the power of darkness into your kingdom of grace, be with me always during my pilgrimage. As you bring me through the waters of death, bring me to the living heights of the heavenly Zion. As you desire, teach me to love the mysteries you have shown us. Oh that I, needy as I am, might have a true hunger to receive you as you, in your fullness, give yourself to me! O let your desire to feed me with your love create in the desire of holy love to taste your sweetness and to feel the charge of your strength.

Jesus:
My child, blessed are they that hunger and thirst for that righteousness that is found in me. You will never gain the righteousness that God required by the law of Moses. Grace and truth come to you in me, that you may rise out of the shadow of death and rejoice in the light of God’s righteousness.

O holy Jesu, let me feed on you and praise you for your glorious power. This food is sweet to all faithful souls. O let me experience its overwhelming power as often I share in the divine mysteries, while I, clear-headed and collected, walk in your sanctifying presence within me all the days of my life.
O Jesus, I can I praise you? Teach me to live worthily that life you desire to make your own. Let your life shine our in my life.

Jesus:
My child, while you seek to live in my power remember also the bitterness of my passion and death. Do not think that I call you to share triumph any other way than by participating with me in my sufferings. My power if a living power, and you must show the reality of life-giving influence upon you. I have borne this world’s hatred. I have lived faithfully in the Father’s love. So you also must suffer at the hands of world, if you will love God and abide in my love.

O Jesu, let me feed on you now under the veil of this Sacrament, that I feed on you eternally in the glory of your unclouded brightness. United me with you, that I have no other life but yours.

No comments:

Palm Sunday

  March 24, 2024   Mark 15.1-39   +   This coming week is, of course, Holy Week.   As this Holy Week begins, I find myself a bit...