Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrove Tuesday/Burying the Alleluia




February 24, 2009

Tonight, we bury the Alleluia. I love this tradition in the Church. I love it for the symbolism, but I also love it for its practicality. After all, I am the worst offender of saying Alleluia out of habit during Lent when the word is officially retired.

But why go through this ceremony? Well, I guess I approach it from the perspective of a poet. For me, words are important and, as a Christian, the word Alleluia is one of the most important. It means, “Praise Yahweh,” Praise God. The word is a verbal expression of what happens in our hearts and souls when we encounter God. Still, I must confess, I take it horribly for granted. I say it without thinking every day. I say it out of habit when I pray the Daily Office. I say it without a second thought during Mass. And I know that on Sunday, will be the one who says it when I shouldn’t be saying it. Sometime, probably around Palm Sunday, I will finally get it through my head and remember not to say and by that time, it will be too late anyway.

But the other reason I think it’s important to do this little ceremony is because, despite the fact that I forget not to say during Lent and oftentimes don’t think about the word the rest of the time, at the Easter Vigil and on Easter morning, the word carries more weight than it ever does. I say it at that time joyfully. I say it with true and pure gusto on Easter. It makes me appreciate the word Alleluia once again. The feeling the word creates in me at that time is very similar to what I feel when I hear the word sung by Jeff Buckley in his gorgeously haunting version of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ Every time Jeff Buckley sing that song, I melt inside. The word as sung by him takes on a depth and beauty I have never felt before for a single word. This feeling—this deep and real appreciation of this sacred and holy word—is why the ceremony is important.

There are other words that are just as sacred, if not more, that should probably be retired temporarily as well and in such a way. But for now, this word is the chosen word and we do so tonight with real purpose.

Tonight, as we set this beautiful word aside for a temporary break, let us take a moment to think about how important this word is for us. Let us appreciate it as we never have. And during our fast from this word, let us be reminded of how important this word is, so when the Light of Easter breaks into our lives again, it will be word that comes not only from our lips, but from our very hearts and souls as well.

No comments:

4 Easter

  Good Sheph erd Sunday April 20, 2024   Psalm 23; John 10.1-10   + Since the last time I stood here and preached, I have traveled...