Thursday, January 2, 2014

Vegan Diary: 4 weeks

Today I have been vegan four weeks. It has been an incredible ride so far. No allergies (for the first time in my entire life). I have never slept this well ever. I feel better than I have in a long time.

And yesterday was  five weeks without Diet Coke. It now all seems like some distant dream. I am no longer even remotely tempted. And I have had to word hard on breaking myself of simply ordering it at a restaurant (after so many years of doing so, it’s just natural).

The veganism has definitely been the best things I could’ve ever done for myself. My weight is own. Not as much as I’d like it to be. But, I realized that because I have been having such fun these last four weeks exploring a whole, brand-new variety of foods, that probably explains the lack of more weight loss. Now that veganism is starting to lose its initial luster and I am settling into it all, I will return to my old schedule of eating.

Having said that, however, I can say that although the scale has been slow, the noticeable loss has been unique. After looking in the mirror and seeing the loss, I expect the scale to reflect that same loss. Not necessarily so.

Also more trial and error: I realize that much of the so-called “vegan food” is really heavy in carbs and fat. I have found myself going more natural in the foods I eat, and, now that I have passed the four week mark, I will cut back a bit on what I eat once again.

Once I discovered almond milk, the whole dairy issue was gone for me. I realized as long as I have almond milk, coconut milk, etc., I never need dairy milk again.

I have been trying to visit all my own restaurant haunts to see if I can find something vegan. The good news is that most of them are very accommodating. The wait staff almost always says they will double-check to see if anything I ordered contains dairy. Some even sympathized with me. I did get a strange look from the wait staff at Old Chicago the first time I ordered cheese less pizza, but the ensuing conversation we had was worth it all. (She did tell me the cook was worried he was going to burn the pizza—he had never made one before—but it was good and I made sure to send him my personal appreciation for doing it).

It’s certainly been a great experience so far!

No comments: