Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Vegan Diary: Going Vegan

Well, I turned 44 on Sunday. After years and years of on-again, off-again vegetarianism (with long stretches of vegetarianism throughout), I have finally decided  to go vegan. I fought it long and hard. After all, I love dairy!

So, what’s the problem? The problem is this: I am lactose intolerant and have known I have been since my twenties. I know full-well that dairy is the #1 issue with my weight over the years, because anytime I cut dairy down, the weight came off.

But veganism always seems so…not only daunting, but almost hard-core. It was equivalent for me of either joining the Marines or the Trappists.

But, finally, after intense reading of the Skinny Bitch/Skinny Bastard books of Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, the Engine 2 books of Rip Esselstyn and other sources like
Forks over Knives and The China Study, I just decided to give up and give in.

And so, here I am. I am going to give myself this coming week just to do it. I have cut (I thought) all of it last Thursday, then discovered last night, to my chagrin, that the Soy White Mocha I get habitually at Starbucks is NOT vegan. Back to square 1.

So, I am going to do this next week one step at a time. No Diet Soda. No dairy. We’ll see what happens.

1 comment:

Vegaia said...

Congratulations, you won't regret your decision! I've been vegan for 25 years and consider it one of the best decisions of my life (my doctor agrees). Here's a video to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice and why the number of vegans has doubled in the US in less than 3 years.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE

Also, here's a link for everyone who wants to join the revolution: 21-Day Vegan Kickstart http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs